Saturday, June 5, 2010

Start Here

In the spring of 2008, a book was recommended to me: Do Hard Things, by Alex And Brett Harris. 
Once I obtained the book (a gracious gift of a friend), I began reading.  I wasn't sure what to expect. The title was definitely intriguing. The description, also intriguing: A teenage rebellion against low expectations. I continued reading. In just a few days my whole outlook on life, my age and responsibility, had changed.  Through Do Hard Things I learned, in depth, the principles of the "Myth of Adolescence."



Two years later, I have been blown away again.  In their new book, Start Here, Alex and Brett have not only recapped the concepts from the last book, but have expanded them.  Carrying them further than I had ever expected. When I heard that a new book was coming, I honestly didn't know how it could ever compete with Do hard Things.  That was a completely incorrect way of thinking; it doesn't compete, it complements. It builds and further enlightens. It answers the questions I've been asking: What now? Where to start? So much to do! How?  It also forced me ask questions of myself that, previously, I was simply avoiding. What are my true motives for wanting to do this?  If any motive slightly strays from the sole purpose of glorifying the Father, then it is straying from our chief end--"To glorify God and enjoy Him forever."
If you find time to add this to your reading, you will be greatly blessed, enlightened, and encouraged.

All glory to the Father,
                         CG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful post, I only hope that someday I can be somewhat like you, from what I have been reading you are a very SPECIAL girl. :)