Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Passion & Purity" . . . one of the best books that I have ever read. It's author, the one and only . . . Elizabeth Elliot, has the deepest insight and wisdom on the subject of purity. I first thought the book was called "Passion for Purity" and thought I really needed to read it. My reason for wanting to read it was very simple and a little disappointing to me personally. I had started noticing I had lost my "passion'' for purity. Yes, I still led a life of being committed to purity, but wasn't passionate about it anymore. It seemed normal; all of my friends are committed to purity as well, so it's not like I am ever under peer pressure (it's kind of like having a nose-so does everyone else!). My thinking was "Yeah, I'm committed to purity . . ." and not "Yes! I'm committed to purity . . .".Anyway, I asked my Dad if he had ever heard of the book and if he thought he could get it for me and he said he thought it was called "Passion & Purity". I got it, read it, and was amazed. I love how God worked that whole book thing out! I thought if was about having a passion for purity, but it was about having passion in purity. I found that the passion for the purity stems from the passion within the purity, and not necessarily with a human, but with God also. You have to value the worth of the purity to gain a passion for it. You will have no passion for something, nor will you protect something that is not important to you. I wouldn't try as hard to protect a person I have never met as much as I would my parents or one of my brothers. I might want to protect that "stranger" and might even try, but I wouldn't do it as fiercely for them as I would for the people I love and value. I read a book that I thought didn't really pertain to my "issue", and was (and still am) exceedingly enlightened and inspired. If you get the chance, read the book. It is amazing insight, but as great as the insight is Elizabeth and Jim Elliot's love story will be one of the larger tools in birthing within you a passion for purity. "The greatest things come at the highest price . . ."

2 comments:

Bethany said...

You know, I can't remember if I ever actually read that book or not. I know I always meant to. Obviously if I did, I don't remember it well enough, so I should read it again!

I'm glad you're pondering these things...it will serve you well your whole life.

Caroline G. said...

Thank you! I'm rather glad I'm back to pondering it too . . .