Thursday, September 10, 2009

Little Women

I read  Little Women  about six years ago ( I would have been ten or eleven) and cried my eyes out.  I literally felt sick because it didn't play out quite like I wished.  Laurie (a guy)asks Jo(a girl) to marry him, and then-of all things- she refuses him!  I was utterly and completely disturbed . . . .  Then, Jo falls for a German professor of philosophy, who has to be 15-20 years older than her, and, in the end, marries him.  Laurie marries Jo's youngest sister, Amy.  So sad.  Also, Beth, next to youngest of the Marge ladies dies of what I believe to be heart failure, but, when I read the book I was glad (don't think me evil!) (I feel bad now)because she apparently was interested in Laurie and I thought that would inhibit he and Jo from marrying-which didn't matter because they were not destined for one another anyway.  Once again, anyway . . . .  I watched the movie a few years ago and felt about it just like I had the book- unpleasant and disturbing.  But, today my feelings and thoughts are reformed, or conformed to the more positive. I loved the dynamic between each of the sisters.  The late night theatre in the attic was so much fun. And, surprisingly so, I was totally okay with Jo marrying someone other than Laurie; I rather liked the professor this time.  I also like that they go on to found the school for underprivileged  boys.  Ideal for both of their characters. 
I am now comfortably arriving at the conclusion that, on my first reading the book, I made a rash and thoughtless decision.  Little Women is, to me,  a happy and beautiful story. 

2 comments:

mwh said...

Did you cry when Jo's manuscript got burnt?

Caroline G. said...

I know that it would appear that I tend to be very emotional when it comes to this movie/book, but I didn't cry . . . I was furious!
Wait! You've read it?