Monday, December 15, 2008

I just finished the book "A Walk With Jane Austen" the other night. Now here is the catch, if I like a book I can read it in a matter of days, depending on it's size, but this book took me months! I would start and stop and go weeks without turning a page and would read other things instead. The main idea of this book was that a woman (Lori Smith, the author and also the heroine of her own book) takes a journey across England following the life and foot-steps of Jane Austen, the world renowned English author. Along the way it could be occasionally charming, but all charm was then immediately choked out by her perception of herself, the way the world works, and her odd view of God (very twisted). Her subtle yet constant mention of her wit and intelligence snuffed out any interest I might have previously had for the book in general.
My perception of the book is this: Lori Smith was and is a very accomplished writer which was the cause of my continuance in reading the book, but . . . I very easily perceived her to be in England searching for herself and for a husband. She has a very misconstrued picture of what "cute" clothes are (no one even uses that word any more). Trust me, she described them in detail. Once she met a guy, along with all of his friends, and was determined he was the one and proceeded to write about her feelings for him all throughout the book even though she was aware that he had "someone" back in the states. That in it's self I found to be very unsettling. I wouldn't recommend the book for the type of entertainment it claims, but for the entertainment my friend, Sarah and I found in Lori Smith's outlook on life.

No comments: