Monday, December 22, 2008



I recently read a book by Zach Hunter (a 16 year old modern day slavery abolitionist. He's like the William Wilberforce of our day) called "Be The Change". Zach takes you through different stories of people's lives who have tried, or have succeeded, in freeing slaves around the world, and then encourages you to "be the change" and get involved in the abolition of modern day slavery or either something else you are passionate about. I have heard about Zach and his cause from a few different sources, but found that hearing from him and not just about him was a totally different experience. In reading, I found his passionate desire for the abolition of modern day slavery to be extremely inspiring. My #1 earthly passion, is the betterment or improvement of the lives of orphans around the world. Despite having that passion I have found, by reading the book, that my awareness of modern day slavery has definitely risen to a height it never was before. It's so easy for people to believe that slavery does not even exist anymore, but, on the contrary, it surely does. It didn't end in William Wilberforce's days. I have even come to the conclusion that I will not purchase, nor purposefully eat, chocolate from certain companies because of the forced labor (slavery) involved in the cocoa companies whom they buy from. It may sound kinda crazy and too indirect to make a difference, but it is a choice of denying something that is connected to destroyed lives.


All of that to say this: You should definitely read the book. I am discovering a new passion. And . . . I will be avoiding chocolate, which will be a difficult task, but it is for a higher cause than the satisfaction of my taste buds.


http://www.myspace.com/lc2lc This is the link to Zach Hunter's My Space page.


2 comments:

Bethany said...

I was reading an article today that said that there are more slaves in the world right now than at any other point in history. So crazy. Thanks for the blog post and the call to action...it is always good to be thinking about these things.

Caroline G. said...

Wow . . . I can't imagine what it's like first hand. You are so welcome. You should skim through the book; it's pretty inspiring. It seemed kinda immature at first, but once you get going it's great (mainly the stories. mini bios).